Monday, May 2, 2011

Is It A Day To Celebrate?

I'm so confused at the state of the world today. The breaking news last night was Osama Bin Laden's death at the hands of the US military. As soon as the news broke out the streets were filled with parading people, rejoicing in the death of Bin Laden. I feel un-American saying this, but I think this behavior is disheartening. Yes, I understand the horror, the devastation he caused and the insurmountable pain he caused families who lost loved ones. I do feel a sense of relief and even that he had this coming to him. I do hope this brings a sense of justice to the families who suffered a loss in the tragedy of 9/11. But parading in the streets saying things like "Kill the Mother Fucker, burn him at the stake!" and posting pictures like this:

seems really barbaric to me, the same way other countries rejoicing in the death of an American seems barbaric to me. A life lost is not something to be celebrated. It just seems like the human race is taking a step back when we should be moving forward.

I'm going to let Martin Luther King, Jr. say it because he says it better than I ever could. This quotation is exactly how I feel about what's going on.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

0 comments: