Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Wal-Mart of my Discontent*

I had forgot to mention (intentionally or not) that I am working again. I've taken a part-time job at the bakery at Wal-Mart so I at least have an income while I search for a better job. The downside is I am working at the same job I worked for the five years while I was in college and I have to wear a hair net, like a freaking lunch lady. No offense to any of the lunch ladies who may read my blog. The plus side is, money is money and pays the bills all the same. I've also realized when it comes down to it, I am mentally strong enough and humble enough to do whatever it takes to be responsible and keep my life running in the best way possible. I've heard from some people they would never take a job like this. Well, then you can sit at home and wallow in your unemployed blues. I on the other hand have a life to live and goals to attain. I'm currently looking to make an appointment to find out what it would take for me to achieve my NYS teaching certification or obtaining a graduate certificate in Nonprofit Management.



(Really? What the hell was he doing at a Wal-Mart convention and more importantly, why wasn't I there?!)

*The Winter of Our Discontent, published in 1961, is John Steinbeck's last novel. The title is a reference to the line "Now is the winter of our discontent made glorious summer by this son [or sun] of York," from William Shakespeare's Richard III. Plot Introduction: The story revolves around Long Islander Ethan Allen Hawley, who works as a clerk in a grocery store he used to own. His wife Mary and children resent their lowly social and economic position, and do not put any value in the high levels of honesty and integrity that Ethan struggles to maintain in a corrupt society. Under this constant pressure, Hawley will eventually manage to get back the store by renouncing his morals, but the new-found wealth will not bring happiness. Sounds vaguely familiar.

0 comments: