Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dear God


So I've never really considered myself to be a religious person, more spiritual than anything I suppose and if I had to classify myself I've always labeled myself as Agnostic (a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as god, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience) which I personally feel is very different from being an Atheist. But lately with all this time on my hands I've been doing a lot of soul searching and I really want to believe in something greater than myself. I figure what's the harm in reaching out to something that is beyond my comprehension. Today I said my first prayer in a very, VERY long time. It went a little something like this:

God,

I know this is my first real prayer in a long time and I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong way to do this, but here it goes. Please provide me with guidance. I felt I have always known my path and I worked so hard to be the person that I want to be. However, as soon as everything seemed as though it was coming together, it quickly fell apart. I was given a dream only for it to slip through my fingers. I have been struggling and I feel like I am lost. Please provide me with the emotional strength and mental endurance to find myself again and to get back on my feet. I am reaching out to you now that we have a real relationship and I pray that you will help me because I feel alone, even though I have such a great support system. Thank you for looking out for me and please bless me and my family and friends with happiness, security and good health.

Love always and Amen,
Colin

(Looking at this in writing, I am so succinct, I should probably try and be more eloquent when I address God.)


Now, I know this is going to make me sound a little bit like Elizabeth Gilbert here but when I say God I don't exactly understand what I mean by that. I could mean Jesus, I could mean the Universe, I could mean my own inner higher consciousness. I think the word God really isn't meant for us to define. All I do know is that right now in my life I like the idea of something with infinite wisdom and compassion keeping an eye on me and I have made a personal pact that it God can bear with me, my doubts, my skepticism and all my questions, that I will be more perceptive and work harder at building a relationship with him.

0 comments: