Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Battle of Northern Aggression


My aggression towards the South as a full-blooded Yankee has melted away. My trip to South Carolina totally changed my view of the states below the Mason Dixon line. Sure, the South was littered with Mega Churches, conservative nut-jobs, gun shows and overall wearing guys riding on tractors but I am open to the idea that the South is a bit of a gem now. The trip was packed with way more culture and a lot less banjo than I anticipated. It was everything I hoped for, beautiful cities, beautiful nature, beautiful weather and beautiful food. Asheville, NC and Greenville, SC totally won me over. These two southern cities get what it's all about. The streets are lined with tall trees, colorful flowers, small boutique shoppes, restaurants and art everywhere. It was like being in my favorite NYC neighborhoods but the greenery made it even prettier. Everything and everyone moved at a much more relaxed pace which was, uh, relaxing and honestly, refreshing. It felt wonderful being somewhere with the energy of a big city but the spirit of a small town.



Everything about the entire trip was perfect from the day trips, to the home cooked meals at Mary and Jerry's, naps, movies, the company, just everything. It was really nice to get away; I am fearing I am becoming a bit of a rolling stone. I am feeling the rumblings of wanting to move again...

0 comments: